The answer to that question is found in the four statements the angels gave to the shepherds at the very first Christmas. There are four things that the angels said that we’re to do at Christmas:
- Release our fears.
- Renew our faith.
- Receive forgiveness.
- Rebuild relationships.
IT’S TIME TO RELEASE OUR FEARS.
The first thing the angel says is this: “Don’t be afraid! Release your anxiety. Let go of your fear. Chill out!”
Luke 2:10 says, “An angel appeared to the shepherds and they were terrified. But the angel said, `Do not be afraid!'” There are 365 “Fear not’s” in the Bible. One for every day of the year! It’s time to release our fears. Let go and let God handle that problem we’ve been worried about.
IT’S TIME TO RENEW OUR FAITH.
Luke 2:10 says, “I bring you the most joyful news ever announced, and it is for everyone!” Christmas is Good News. The Good News keeps getting better and better because the bad news keeps getting worse and worse. What is the Good News?
- We matter to God. God knows everything about us and He still loves us.
- We are not an accident. No matter what the circumstances of our birth are, we weren’t made by accident. God has a plan and a purpose for our lives.
- God wants us to know Him as much as He knows us. He wants us to know Him, so He sent Jesus Christ so we could know what He’s like. If God wanted to relate to birds, He would have become a bird. It’s like the little boy who cried out to his daddy, “I’m afraid of the dark. Come in here and be with me,” Dad said. “Just grab your teddy bear.” The little boy said, “No, I want something with skin on it.”
IT’S TIME TO RECEIVE FORGIVENESS.
Luke 2:11 says, “Today, in the town of David, a Savior has been born for you; he is Christ the Lord!”
- God didn’t send us a salesman because we didn’t need a product.
- And He didn’t send us a politician, because we didn’t need diplomacy.
- And He didn’t send us a soldier, because we didn’t need a war fought.
- And He didn’t send a scientist because we didn’t need information.
- God sent a Savior so we could receive forgiveness.
IT’S TIME TO REBUILD RELATIONSHIPS.
It’s a time of reconciliation. Luke 2:14 says, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men.” God wants us to not only have peace with Him but He wants us to have peace with other people too. Who do we need to reach out to this Christmas? Who do we need to write a letter to, make a call to? Who do we need to offer forgiveness to? Who do we need to ask forgiveness from and restore relationships?
My prayer is that we will all have a blessed “TIME” this Christmas holiday season as we prepare to experience a triumphant New Year in 2015 by releasing our fears, renewing our faith, and building and restoring our relationships in the spirit and power of “Emmanuel”! Merry Christmas and a Blessed and Prosperous New Year!
Pastor Fred McGlone